January 15, 2011

January "New" Project - Stacy H-W























This is my take on the January "New" challenge. I decided to try out my new Sizzix Vagabond that my mother got me for Christmas and share the process with you.


First, look at how cute it is! It looks like a little suitcase. It is about 14 lbs and is a motorized die cut/embossing machine. (just in case you didn't already know)


There is a little storage compartment on one side for the cord and you attach it to the machine on the other side. The open/shut switch is at the top under the handle. And when you push it, both sides slowly open and lower down.


It comes with a Solo Platform, a Shim and two clear cutting plates. It is a strong machine which will cut thicker things like grunge board, thin metal, cork etc.


I decided to try it for embossing. I am totally new to embossing (and die cutting) so was wondering how hard this was going to be. I used a Cuttlebug Embossing folder and some card stock. I cut the card stock to the approximate size I needed and then opened the folder and put it in. Easy enough.

Next I sandwiched it between the two clear cutting plates and then put these three things on the Solo Platform. I gently pushed these things slightly into the machine until I felt pressure.


On the top of the machine are two buttons. One is to adjust directions and the other is to turn on the machine. The machine will only run if you are pushing the on button in.


I made sure I was going the right direction and then pushed the on button and pushed the Solo Platform into the machine until it took over for me. Easy as pie.

You can see how it turned out. It made a really deep embossed pattern on the paper that looks super cool.

I liked this embossing folder so much that I decided to use it to make the mats for my pictures on my layout. I used different paper that matched my layout better but the process was the same.

I have since used a Sizzix flower die to cut out 4 flowers shapes that I stacked and turned into a great embellie for another layout. The process was similar. I put the die on one of the cutting plates, cutting side up. And then put paper on top and then added the other cutting plate to the top. I eased it into the machine and then turned it on. It cut like butter.

So far I am having fun with this machine. I'm not sure if I would have bought it myself since it is really pretty expensive but I'm glad to have it as a gift. And I think I will get a lot of use from it.


Now to the supplies...The sketch was a January sketch from Sassylilsketches. I used We R Memory Keepers White Out Paper- Nonsense-Splish Splash, Nonsense-Ding Dong and Nonsense Drip Drop. I also used Nonsense Chip board embellies and rub on's that coordinated. The ribbon and bling are from my stash. I made it sparkle with a little Crystal Stickles.


There you have it...my January "New" Project....now where is yours???  See all the details HERE.

11 comments:

  1. great layout! your vagabond looks like it will be sooo much fun. tfs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW. Now I want a vagabond quite badly! I love your LO, BTW! Everything coordinates so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh! I saw that in CK and was intrigued! Love your layout!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome present - looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love what you did with the ribbon in the lo! ANd that is so cute- love the suitcase look!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So JEALOUS- looks great and it helped produce a great LO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice layout!! I love the embossing on the photo mats and your ribbon. I am glad you are enjoying your new Vagabond!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your layout is beautiful :))))) I love the embossing! Your ribbons look awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great Christmas gift and a fun layout. Love the embossed photo mats and the ribbon border.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the colors on you LO, all those snips and snippets blend so well together.
    I waaaaants me a new Tim Holtz toy! :::drool:::
    Lucky Girl!

    ReplyDelete